5 High Protein Toast Toppings you haven’t thought of
Sweet or savoury? Or, a combo of both? From low carb chocolate spread to a unique peanut butter combo, there's a toast topping for everyone here - all tried and tested by team Protein Bread Co (no. 2 is my favourite). Up the protein even more by putting one of these toppings on our toasted Protein Bread.
1 slice toasted Protein Bread + 1 heaped tbsp natural peanut butter + 2 slices tomato
1) Peanut Butter and TomatoNo that’s not a typo, but don’t knock this combo till you try it, peeps! We’ve all gone the sweet route before with the classic peanut butter and banana combo, but why not give this more savoury toast topping alternative a try to switch things up? It’s also lower in carbs if you’re trying to cut back. And seeing that peanuts go with veggies in satay sauce, this combo actually makes a lot of sense, especially when you use a natural peanut butter with a touch of salt - party in your mouth! See our favourite peanut butter brands here 4 peanut butters here.
|PROTEIN: 14.1g||CARBS: 3.05g||FAT: 12.55g|
2) Nutty Choc Protein SpreadI just whipped this up in The Protein Bread Co test kitchen and let’s just say this stuff is dangerous...variations of this recipe are all over social, but I like this no-fuss version, which I’ve adapted from the @fitnessista: 1 tbsp 100% peanut butter (or almond butter) ½ a scoop (15g) chocolate protein powder - we used Bulk Nutrients Chocolate WPI 1 heaped tsp cocoa powder 1 Tbsp milk of your choice Add all ingredients to a small bowl and mix until well combined. You may need to add a little more milk if the mixture is too dry. That’s it! Check out the super impressive macros when you add this to a slice of Protein Bread. Also amazing on Protein Pancakes...just saying. Nutrition Facts 1 slice toasted Protein Bread + 1 tbsp 100% peanut butter + ½ scoop Bulk Nutrients Chocolate WPI + 1 tbsp full cream milk
|PROTEIN: 28.10g||CARBS: 5.65g||FAT: 13.4g|
3) Blueberry ‘Cheesecake’And by cheesecake I mean cottage cheese mixed with cinnamon and a sugar free sweetener (I like to keep things natural and use plant-based stevia)…do it! Or for the savoury-toothed, skip the cinnamon and sweetener and just spread straight-up cottage cheese on your toast…delish with cracked pepper or some chilli flakes to give it a kick. Nutrition Facts 1 slice toasted Protein Bread + 50g / approx 2 tbsp cottage cheese + a handful of blueberries
|PROTEIN: 13.75g||CARBS: 2.05g||FAT: 4.35g|
4) Sardines ‘n’ GreensOkay so I know these super sustainable little fishies aren’t everyone’s cuppa tea, but if you are a sardine fan, they’re loaded not only with protein but also essential omega-3 fats - and unlike with tuna, you don’t have to worry about mercury with these. No spread needed because of the natural oils packed into sardines, plus we’ve used the ones in olive oil. Try this combo with a squeeze of fresh lemon to cut the richness. Nutrition Facts 1 slice toasted Protein Bread + ⅔ of a drained, 105g can sardines in olive oil + a handful of baby spinach
|PROTEIN: 16.9g||CARBS: 0.75g||FAT: 4.91g|
5) Natural Chobani Yoghurt and StrawberriesIf you’re thinking ‘How have I not thought of this?’ then this combo is for you. Stick to a thick-strained brand like Chobani or the one in this post, as most yoghurts aren’t as high in protein as these. I like to smash the strawberries before I bite into this to sweeten the yoghurt. You could also add cinnamon and a little stevia for sweetness (Chobani is tart!). Nutrition Facts 1 slice toasted Protein Bread + ½ single serve 170g tub Natural Chobani + 1 medium sliced strawberry
|PROTEIN: 16.35g||CARBS: 4.3g||FAT: 0.9g|