Low Carb Spaces - Home
What is a food space??
A 'Food Space' is basically where you and food are in the same place. Not always a meal time (i.e Supermarket) but the majority of the times, it is where you have your meals or snacks.
So let’s break down the common food spaces.
- Home (Kitchen)
- Food Court & Takeaway places
- Cafes and Restaurants
Fridge and Pantry items - When living low carb it is important to have your kitchen stocked with your favourite Low Carb Foods and Products. If you are new to low carb, this may mean getting rid of items that no longer suit your new eating plan. If you are new to Low Carb, you may find the tips on our 'how to start low carb' blog helpful.
Popular Low Carb Fridge favourites
- Meat/ Poultry
- Low Carb Vegetables
- Low Carb Fruit
- Quorn (vegetarian)
Popular Low Carb Pantry Favourites
- Tins of tuna or salmon
- Low Carb Baking Mixes - PBCo
Supermarket packaged Items - We have a great database of the Best Low Carb Supermarket Reviews that can help you find low carb sauces, yoghurts, dips and other packaged items.
Easy tips to make a Low Carb Home Environment
- Making big batches of foods e.g. bolognese that can be used over a few meals. Freeze into portions. This can be teamed with steamed vegetables, or my current obsession “zucchini noodles” or stuffed into capsicums and roasted with a sprinkle of cheese.
- Our Low Carb mixes are so easy to put together. Baking batches of low carb options i.e muffins, pancakes or a loaf of bread to get you through the week.
- Frittata muffins - Take your fave low carb vegetables, some eggs, cheese/ and or lean protein, mix together and pop into muffin tin and bake. Handy snack to grab and go with, pop into lunch boxes, and can work as an ‘any meal’ food. This is a great way to use up left-overs.
- Portion out your nuts into zip lock bags of approx 30g/ 15-20nuts and then store in a container. A good way of keeping a low carb snack ready to go at all times and portions are in check.
- Frozen Veggies on hand - green frozen vegetables are a great addition to a quick egg scramble if you are pressed for time.
- Keep small tins of tuna on hand. Low carb crackers - Carmen's crackers or ones made using our Low carb Mixes.
- Mini cheeses that come in portion sizes team well with sliced cucumber, cherry tomatoes and capsicum sticks or the crackers mentioned above.
- Pre-washed bags of mixed leaves are great to have on hand, pre-washed coleslaw mix, even the stir-fry mix - is an easy way to create a meal in minutes, toss through some shredded BBQ chook and your fave low carb dressing and away you go. My favourite dressing - Apple cider vinegar and flaxseed oil. :)
- Portion out your meats/ fish in ready to go packs, to make it easier mid week.
- BBQ chook can go a few meals that are healthy and convenient.
- Got leftovers??? Get them into containers as soon as you can, have some extra meals on hand for those days where you don’t have time to cook something healthy, need lunch for the next day or to stop you from reaching for convenient choices that may not be carb friendly.
Be sure to comment below to share your thoughts or suggestions. Stay tuned for next week, when we look at The Supermarket Space
Don't forget to follow me on social media for the most up to date info, tips and tricks on Making Low Carb EASY!
For more great Low Carb Living info, click here