Typically on a Low Carb Diet, you expect that Noodles & Pasta are off limits….Until now!
Whilst we know that these aren’t like for like to real pasta, I do think these are great substitutes for low carbers pasta/ noodle fix. I especially love the black bean pasta range.
Our criteria – 5g carbs or less per 100g
Updated March 2021
|Name||Carbs (per 100g)||Calories (per 100g)|
|Changs Traditional Noodles||0.5g||10.5|
|Slendier Konjac noodle range||less than 1 g||10|
|Bean Sprouts||less than 1g||19|
|Slendier Soy Bean Spaghetti/ Fettuccine||3.3g||117|
|Slendier Black Bean Spaghetti/ Fettuccine||3.4g||117|
|Slendier Edamame Bean Spaghetti/ Fettuccine||4g||115|
|Spaghetti Squash (Veggie)||7g||31|
The Lowest Carb Noodle or Pasta is…
Purified Water, Konjac Flour (5%)
Carbs per 100g: less than 1g
- They are all made from Konjac which is an Asian plant. It’s really high in fibre but contains virtually zero Kj’s or Carbs.
- With all Slendier Konjac products – all you need to do is open the packet and rinse under warm water THOROUGHLY and pat dry with a paper towel, then add your favourite toppings. 🙂
- Slendier Noodles are all available in the Gluten-Free/Health Food Section of the supermarket.
Konjac Root extract, Water & Stabiliser (526)
Carbs per 100g: less than 1g
- A very similar product to Slendier
- These Changs Super Lo-Cal Noodles are in the Asian section of the supermarket.
- The same tip as above for Slendier – rinse well and pat dry before adding toppings.
Ingredients: Bean Sprouts
Carbs per 100g: less than 1g Carbs and only 80kj’s
- Ok, it’s not a noodle or pasta BUT…It works!! This is probably one of the easiest options for a noodle replacement.
- Simply buy a bag of these from the fridge at the supermarket or fruit & veg shop – plate up and top with your favourite stir fry or pasta sauce.
- The hot topping slightly wilts the bean sprouts turning them into noodles.
Zoodles – Zucchini Noodles
Carbs per 100g: 2g
- 100% Natural
- There are heaps of special gadgets you can get to make Zucchini Pasta/Noodles now – but this is the simplest! You can purchase Julienne Peelers at most supermarkets/department stores. Simply run the peeler down the side of the Zucchini and it will form thin spaghetti-like strips. You can blanch the Zucchini as per instructions in our Non-Recipe Book – or lightly stir fry with some olive oil.
- Once you pop your favourite stir fry or pasta sauce on it you can hardly taste the difference.
- Woolworths and Coles also offer a ready-made version of these, found in the Fresh Food area in the store.
If you are looking for the Best Low Carb Stir-through Pasta Sauce for a quick meal, check out our blog
The Best Low Carb Pasta Sauce
Whilst nothing will compare to a homemade sauce, pre made Pasta ...VIEW THIS ARTICLE
- Soybean & Water
- Blackbean Flour & water
- Edamame Bean Flour & Water
Carbs per 100g: 3-4
- Just water and the legume flour, great simple ingredients and a great source of fibre!
- If you are avoiding soy, then you may skip those and go for the black bean.
- A great pasta alternative that has a better texture than the konjac noodles.
- These were found in Coles.
Spaghetti Squash Vegetable
Carbs per 100g: 7g
- I know it’s over the 5g but I thought I’d still give it a mention as it’s just a vegetable and all-natural! Not sure how easy it is to get in Australia, but we see this in a lot of low carb recipes from the US.
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Brush the inside of each half with olive oil and sprinkle with coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place cut sides down on a baking sheet and put the sheet into the oven. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until you can easily pierce the squash with a fork. Remove from oven and scoop the flesh out with a fork. It will be all stringy like Spaghetti! Top with your favourite pasta sauce.
**Please note information was accurate at the time of collecting. If changes are made to the brand (packaging or nutrition) within our updates, please refer to their website. Changes may occur regarding their availability, please check with your local supermarket for more info.
For more Low carb Supermarket finds, click here
- Jo struggled with obesity as a teenager. She decided that she needed to take control of her health, and embarked on a 3.5-year journey to lose 56kg’s and get healthy, This involved a combination of cutting out a lot of unhealthy foods, reducing carbs and exercising. Educating herself on the value of nutrient-rich foods was a key factor. Throughout this, Jo became passionate about helping as many people feel as good as they can, so they could enjoy life with those that they love. Joanne started with the business in Customer Service, and due to her passion for Low Carb as well as experience as a Weight Loss Coach – quickly progressed and was promoted to Community Manager.