Considering our bodies are made up of 80% water – it’s a pretty important factor in helping us to feel our best.
Staying hydrated is one of the BEST things you can do for your body and mind.
Benefits of Water:
- Smooth, glowing skin – fine lines really do disappear!
- Sparkling eyes
- Clear mind – our brain is made up of 75% water – when your brain is hydrated you have so much more clarity.
- Confidence – staying sufficiently hydrated gives me the confidence and satisfaction that I am treating my body with love and respect. This satisfaction inspires me to continue and do other things that I know are great for me such as eating lots of vegetables and exercising.
- It can stop us mindlessly eating! Having a water bottle with you at all times will encourage you to sip on water instead of grabbing a snack, if you are feeling anxious or any other reason why you mindlessly eat.
- It helps keep us satisfied and not hungry – water fills up our tummies just like food does yes maybe not for as long but it all helps. Staying hydrated, on water or even tea can keep us feel satisfied for that little bit longer so we can make it to our next meal.
- Our metabolism works way better when we are hydrated. All our bodily functions require water to work to their best. Water helps us to flush out everything we don’t need or that is not good for us – It helps our digestion and helps to eliminate extra stuff we just don’t need. Therefore, water is probably one of the best “detoxes” you can find!
Hydration Action Points
- 2L+ water or herbal tea.
- Carry a water bottle with you. Unlimited water, tea, black coffee. 1 other coffee of choice per day. Almond milk = lowest carb but this is your little daily treat so choose whatever milk you love the most.
- Ensure you have a water bottle to keep with you (I love the glass Voss ones from the supermarket). Fill your pantry with your favourite herbal teas
As far as cold drinks go – drink only water
Soft Drinks, juices and nutrient waters are always full of sugar and will not quench your thirst anyway. If water is the only cold drink you grab, this will really help you reach your 3L daily goal.
Drink out of a bottle
If it’s a standard 600ml bottle you know you just have to have 5 per day – so you can keep track of where you are up to.
Have a plan
1 before breakfast, 1 on the way to work, 1 with lunch and 1 on the way home. This makes it easier and spaces out your water intake. If a bottle seems like a stretch, especially for those that are starting from very little. Add a glass upon rising then before each meal – so you are getting around 5 glasses + 1 bottle through the day.
Drink WARM water in Winter
At first, this sounds and tastes strange, however, I promise you will get used to it. I realised I was drinking so much tea and coffee just to keep warm in winter! I started to sip on mugs of hot water in between. It keeps you warm, full, and hydrated! You could add a slice of lemon to add a little flavour.
Naturally flavoured sparkling water
There are several brands that have recently launched these fantastic naturally flavoured waters. These are free from sugar AND artificial sweeteners – there should be less than 10kj per serve, and check the ingredient list to make sure you have got the correct one with no sugar or sweeteners!
My favourites are grapefruit and mandarin.
Drink from the tap after brushing your teeth!
This sounds a little strange but it’s a great way to boost your water intake – when it’s right in front of you. I always have a drink from the tap after I brush my teeth in the morning. It’s a great way to rehydrate after the night – before your morning caffeine hit (which can actually dehydrate you).
Eat the ice in your drinks when you’re out
Ice is just water obviously so I find by doing this not only am I getting extra hydration when I am out but its also a great way to pace yourself with the alcoholic drinks!
There are so many beautiful herbal teas available now – even from the supermarket! Why not try something new? I love peppermint for a great energy boost or liquorice tea to aid digestion. Milky teas are also hydrating, however, keep in mind that the milk does contain calories + carbs so you don’t want to go overboard. And definitely NO SUGAR!
Tea bags that you can use in cold water. Twinings have a great range available. You can also buy those infuser bottles and pop in some fresh chopped strawberries, citrus fruits etc.
Eat your Water
Yep, you read that correctly. Cucumber and Iceberg lettuce are 96% water. Celery, Radish and Zucchini are 95% water. Strawberries, watermelon and grapefruit around 92%
You can also share with any friends that may find this information useful as well.
Anna believes that in order to achieve your full potential in life you must first and foremost look after and value your body and mind.
Anna’s favourite time of day is the early morning (yes 4am early) enjoying a cup of tea and thinking about the day ahead, and maybe doing some test baking!