It can be hard to know exactly what to eat when you’re Living Low Carb. I’ve put together this quick reference guide for types of Milk, so you can make the best choices fast.
Figures in this table are per 100mls.
A regular take away coffee – has about 300mls of milk, and a small 210mls – so basically double or triple these figures to see how many carbs are in your coffee!
Starting your day with a regular latte from your local cafe is around 20g of Carbs before you even eat anything.
I know how important your morning coffee is, and its equally important that you really enjoy it.
Here are some ideas to reduce the carbs, whilst still loving your mornings 🙂
- Don’t add Sugar – 1tsp of sugar will add another 5g of Carbs on top of the 20 – most cafe’s offer Natvia now – a natural alternative to artificial sweeteners.
- Try Almond Milk (check its unsweetened) – You can see the most popular brand that cafe’s use only has about half the carb content of soy & full cream milk.
- Try a Long Black – by far the healthiest coffee to choose as there are zero kj’s or carbs in it! It is an acquired taste but I grew to love that strong bitter flavour!
- Long Black with some cream – Many people choose this as its the lowest carb, coffee that still gives you that creamy flavour but minimal carbs.
- Have the one coffee the way that you enjoy it! Then tweak the rest of your day’s carbs and make room for it.
|Item – Per 100ml Serve||Carbs||Protein||kJs||Fat|
|Almond – Australia’s Own Unsweetened||0.1||0.6||92||2.1|
|Inside Out Nutrition - Unsweetened Almond Milk||0.4||1.6||130||2.6|
|Sun Coast Gold Macadamia Nut Milk||0.5||0.3||94||2.1|
|Pure Harvest Unsweetened Soy||1.1||2.9||181||2.7|
|Almond Breeze Barista Blend – Most common cafe Almond milk||1.7||0.6||100||1.9|
|Milk LAB Almond Milk (found in Cafes)||2.7||0.8||154||2.8|
|The Complete Dairy Full Cream milk available from Supermarket||3.5||6.0||286||3.4|
|Liddell’s Lactose Free – available from Supermarket||4.8||3.4||144||0.1|
|Dairy Farmers Regular Milk||4.8||3.4||266||3.4|
|Dairy Farmers Skim Milk||4.9||3.5||147||0.1|
|Dairy Farmers Lite White||4.9||3.5||194||1.4|
|Vitasoy Barista – Most common cafe Soymilk||6.5||3.0||218||1.5|
All values are per 100mls. Values sourced from Food Standards Australia
- Jo struggled with obesity as a teenager. She decided that she needed to take control of her health, and embarked on a 3.5-year journey to lose 56kg’s and get healthy, This involved a combination of cutting out a lot of unhealthy foods, reducing carbs and exercising. Educating herself on the value of nutrient-rich foods was a key factor. Throughout this, Jo became passionate about helping as many people feel as good as they can, so they could enjoy life with those that they love. Joanne started with the business in Customer Service, and due to her passion for Low Carb as well as experience as a Weight Loss Coach – quickly progressed and was promoted to Community Manager.