We often get asked what Whey Protein Concentrate (WPC) we use in our products and where it comes from. So we thought we would bring you along for the ride behind our decision making of what ingredients we use, where it is sourced from and why we only source ingredients we would eat ourselves.
Our Protein Bread is a High Protein, Low Carb, Gluten Free Bread is made from natural ingredients with over 94% of ingredients sourced from Australia (unfortunately they don’t make vegetarian proteins in Australia).
One of our major ingredients in Protein Bread is WPC 80%, sourced from Warrnambool Cheese and Butter, located on the Great Ocean Road in the heart of the prime dairy country of south-west Victoria, Australia. WPC 80% (meaning 80% protein content) is a natural by-product of the cheese making process and is an excellent source of protein. It is also naturally rich in branched chain and essential amino acids (it is a complete protein), perfect for muscle repair and recovery. For those that love understanding macro’s, WPC 80% is 80.2% protein, 6.1% carbs and 5.7% fats.
In addition to the local Australian dairy industry, the USA is the other major source of WPC used by supplement and food manufacturers in Australia
We chose Australian WPC for our Protein Bread for the following reasons:
- Australian WPC is from pasture fed cows. WPC imported from the USA is generally from cows that are less than 25% pasture fed
- Australian WPC is hormone free and does not contain rBST (recombinant bovine somatotropin), an artificial growth hormone used to increase milk production and contained in WPC imported from the USA. rBST is banned for use in Australia however is legal in the USA. We do not use WPC sourced from the USA in any of our products.
- Australian WPC is not processed using soy lecithin, supporting those who are soy free or have soy allergies
- Australian WPC is all natural and GMO free
- Australian WPC supports Australian farmers
Let us know what you think about 100% Australian WPC in our Protein Bread and watch out for our Australian Ingredient Series.
- An avid barefoot trail runner, explorer, creator, and keen learner. I'm incredibly humbled by everyone who's helped The Protein Bread Co. to grow to where it is today – actively supporting our mission to help 5M Australians and 20M people globally to live fitter, healthier and happier lives. You can reach out to me via Twitter or Instagram @thelowcarbgiant, Facebook @lukehopkins, or shoot me an email at email@example.com
- Company Insights & News2019.08.19Time for my next adventure.
- Company Insights & News2019.07.29Going Low Carb Will Change Your Life – The Fat For Weight Loss Podcast
- Company Insights & News2019.07.29High demand pulls low-carb into mainstream – Article in Food & Drink Business Magazine – June 2019
- Athlete Updates2019.03.26Dealing with setbacks and injury