We look at Australian Almond Meal this week as an essential ingredient that we use in our products as part of the Australian ingredient series. With customers asking questions around our ingredients, we thought we would bring you along for the ride behind our decision making of what ingredients we use, where it is sourced from and why we only source ingredients we would eat ourselves.
Our Protein Bread is a High Protein, Low Carb, Gluten Free Bread is made from natural ingredients with over 94% of ingredients sourced from Australia (unfortunately they don’t make vegetarian proteins in Australia).
One of our major ingredients in Protein Bread is Almond Meal, sourced directly from a farmers co-operative in south-west Victoria, Australia and if not available, from South Australia. The farmers co-operative receives Australian almonds from over 85% of Australian Almond growers and is a key way that we can support Australian farmers.
Almond meal is created by removing the shell off the almonds and grinding the almonds with their skin on into a coarse meal that still retains all the goodness of whole almonds. The major almond variety that is found in our almond meal is from the Australian Nonpareil almond. The benefits of using almond meal in our products is that apart from having healthy monounsaturated fats, they are also packed full of vitamin E and antioxidants. Studies from Harvard University have shown that eating almonds can decrease mortality rates and significantly reduce coronary heart disease risk factors.
For those that love understanding macro’s, Almond meal is 21% protein, 10% carbs and 49% fats.
We chose Australian Almond Meal for our Protein Bread for the following reasons:
- Australian Almond Meal comes from the premium Australian Almonds which retain all their nutritional goodness including monounsaturated fats, Vitamin E and antioxidants
- Australian Almonds are grown in regions that receive relatively good rainfalls that don’t place as high a burden on local water sources. California, which supplies more than 80% of the world’s almonds, has faced an extended drought which has placed a significant burden on water resources in the state that has resulted in damage to delicate ecological systems.
- Australian Almond Meal is all natural.
- Australian Almond Meal supports Australian farmers
Let us know what you think about 100% Australian Almond Meal in our Protein Bread and watch out for our Australian Ingredient Series.
- Press Release2019.02.01Two Australian pioneers of low carb foods merge to create a new super brand, PBCo.
- Product Releases2019.01.16Fried chicken gets the healthy zing it needs – goes low carb
- Company Insights & News2018.04.18“Why I Love Low Carb” by Aaron Wallace
- Company Insights & News2018.04.18Why we created a Low Carb Protein Banana Bread?