Do you have work meetings in cafes or restaurants? Or find yourself eating out a fair bit through your week? Or just prefer someone else to do the cooking 😀 YAY!
If you get to choose where you are going, certain cuisines are more low carb friendly than others.
I usually go for Pub meals (switch the chips or mash for extra vegetables) or my 2 favourites: Greek or Lebanese restaurants Lots of lean protein grilled over charcoal, with so many different salads to choose from – just don’t order the bread 😀
some tips and tricks for low carb cafe and restaurant dining.
- Where possible, check out the menu online. know what you want before you get there.
- Take your time looking through the menu, and don’t be afraid to make changes to dishes (within reason of course)
- Order first. Get in first before you hear what everyone else is ordering. You are less likely to change your mind.
- Opt for 2 Entree dishes and a side salad (grilled halloumi, prawns, olives etc)
- The ‘Meat and Vegetable’ based meals – will always be the most carb friendly and at times the easiest to see what is in it – Ask for sauces and dressings on the side, say no to chips, mash or bread and yes to extra vegetables.
- When ordering salads, add protein if there is none and ask for dressings on the side.
- Avoid Focaccia’s and sandwiches when trying to eat low carb, not too mention the bread is normally 3 times the size of what it should be, and you don’t get that much on the inside.
- Ordering 2 entrees with a side salad at times may be a better option.
- Avoid pasta or risotto when aiming to eat low carb. You also will avoid that heavy feeling that normally follows are heavy high carb meal.
- If it’s a boozy lunch/ Dinner – always start with a tall glass of sparkling or still water. That way you increase your water for the day, and you sit on your first drink for longer and drink less. 😉
- If you’re heading out for Breakfast – Eggs will be the star of your dish, with the vegetable side options, no toast, or an omelette – just choose your favourite low carb fillings. My go-to order – Vegetarian breakfast, no toast with bacon 😀
You may find some other ideas in last weeks blog about food courts and take aways. If you missed it click here
Jo x 🤓
Don’t forget to follow me on social media for the most up to date info, tips and tricks on Making Low Carb EASY!
- Jo struggled with obesity as a teenager. She decided that she needed to take control of her health, and embarked on a 3.5-year journey to lose 56kg’s and get healthy, This involved a combination of cutting out a lot of unhealthy foods, reducing carbs and exercising. Educating herself on the value of nutrient-rich foods was a key factor. Throughout this, Jo became passionate about helping as many people feel as good as they can, so they could enjoy life with those that they love. Joanne started with the business in Customer Service, and due to her passion for Low Carb as well as experience as a Weight Loss Coach – quickly progressed and was promoted to Community Manager.